- Title Pages
- 1 History of the United Provinces and the War with Spain. Founding of the West India Company. Description of Brazil.
- 2 Count Johan Maurits' Voyage to Brazil. Battle at Porto Calvo. Administrative Affairs in Brazil.
- 3 Conquests in Africa. Expeditions to Sergipe and Ceará. Administrative Affairs in Paraíba and Rio Grande. Description of Paraíba. Sugar Production.
- 4 Count Johan Maurits' Failed Attack on Bahia. Questions of Trade Monopoly. Admiral Jol's Expedition to the West Indian Islands. Count Johan Maurits Designs Emblems for the Provinces. The Spanish Fleet Sails Past Recife.
- 5 The Affair Arciszewsky
- 6 Van der Dussen's Report on the Brazilian Territories. Sugar Production. Brazilian Flora and Fauna.
- 7 Vrijburg Palace and the Count's Gardens. Building Bridges across the Beberibe and Capibaribe Rivers.
- 8 The Spanish-Portuguese Armada at the Coast of Brazil, January 1640. Battle at the Downs, October 1639.
- 9 Guerilla Warfare. Solar Eclipse. Slavery. Conquest of Sergipe del Rey. Portugal Rejects the Spanish Crown.
- 10 Conquests in Africa. Jol's Expedition to São Tomé. Elias Herckmans' Expedition into the Interior.
- 11 Conquest of Maranhão. Treaties with Portugal.
- 12 Portuguese Rebellion in Maranhão and São Tomé. Roulox Baro's Journey to the Indian Tribes. Jacob Rabe's Description of the Tapuyas.
- 13 Brouwer and Herckmans' Expedition to Chile
- 14 Count Johan Maurits Prepares to Depart. Survey of His Eight-Year Governorship. Advice to the Councilors.
- 15 Administrative Affairs in the Brazilian Territories. The Count's Departure. His Report to the States General.
- 16 Praise for Count Johan Maurits' Conduct and Accomplishments as Governor-General of the Territory in Brazil, 1637–1644
- Glossary of Chilean Vocabulary
- Biography of Caspar Barlaeus
To the Most Illustrious Count Johan Maurits, Count of Nassau, Lately Governor-General of Dutch Brazil.
Florida Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.